Sioux Empire Kennel Club
Sioux Empire Kennel Club (SEKC) is an All Breed Club founded in 1961 in Sioux Falls, SD by a group of dog enthusiasts. After permission was granted by the American Kennel Club (AKC) the local group held its first AKC licensed all breed conformation show on September 15, 1962. The SEKC became a member of the AKC in September of 1968 with facilities located in the Sioux Falls Arena.
Upon leaving the Arena, the SEKC joined with the Sioux City Iowa Kennel Club and the Worthington MN Kennel Club for a combined show held in Vermillion, SD. After a few years, the clubs split and the SEKC returned to Sioux Falls where they continue to hold their annual Fall Show (Conformation/Obedience) in the Expo Building on the W.H. Lyons Fairgrounds in late October. The first AKC sanctioned obedience match was June 16th 1963 with the first licensed obedience trial held in 1965. Unfortunately, the exact date is no longer known.
On September 25, 1998 the club held its first AKC licensed agility trial outdoors at the Fairgrounds. In 2014 the trial was moved to its current home, the Avera Sports Dome, currently at 1601 West 44th Place Sioux Falls, SD 57105 .
In November of 2018 the club held its first Scent Work trial and started a new fun activity. Our first two trials had "record cold" then only part of this tradition that we hope to not continue.
Today the club has about 112 dog enthusiasts. Many of our members hold titles in conformation, obedience, rally, agility, scent work, field trials and many more.